Top 15 MSOs had active subscriber base of 52.33 million as on 1 April: TRAI

  • 46
  •  
  •  
  •  

MUMBAI: The top 15 multi system operators (MSOs) have an active subscriber base of 52.33 million as on 1st April 2019, according to the data provided by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).

Siti Networks, DEN Networks, Hathway Digital, GTPL Hathway, and IndusInd Media and Communications Ltd (IMCL) are the top five MSOs in terms of active subscriber base.

According to the ministry of information and broadcasting (MIB) data sourced by TRAI, only 14 MSOs have a subscriber base of 1 million+. There are eight MSOs who have 0.5-1 million subscribers. There are 17 MSOs with a subscriber base of 0.3-0.5 million. The country has ten MSOs with 0.2-0.3 million subscribers. As many as 33 MSOs have a subscriber base of 0.1-0.2 million.

Further, more than five hundred such MSOs have a subscriber base less than 2500. At present, there are 1471 registered MSOs out of which 1143 are operational.

In its white paper on the benefits of the new regulatory framework for small MSOs, the TRAI had noted that 15 large MSOs control close to 78% share of the cable TV market while the other smaller MSOs have just 22% share of the market.

Citing market data, the TRAI had noted that only 15 MSOs, which is less than 1.5% of total 1100 MSOs, control close to 78% market share among Cable TV homes across the country.

The authority had further stated that such a skewed market scenario reflects structural issues in the sector and points to the existence of impediments to fair competition.

It also stated that there are about 1100 active MSOs operating all over India who have a combined market share of about 100 million subscribers of which the 20 leading MSOs have a share of 65% of the subscriber base. Further, there are about 100,000 local cable operators (LCOs) operating in the country.

Siti Networks is the top MSO with an active subscriber base of 11.13 million. The MSO has operations in Punjab, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Kerala, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Bihar.

DEN Networks is the second largest MSO with an active subscriber base of 7.03 million. It has operations in Gujarat, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Kerala, Uttarakhand, Delhi-NCR, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, and Bihar.

At third position is Hathway Digital with 6.69 million active subscribers. Its subscribers are spread across Delhi, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, and Telangana.

Hathway is followed by GTPL Hathway with 5.25 million active subscribers. The MSO has subscribers in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal, and Assam.

IMCL is at the fifth position with 4.54 million active subscribers spread across Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh.

Fastway Transmission, which has operations in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Chandigarh, has 4.01 million active subscribers.

The Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation (TACTV) has 3.22 million active subscribers in Tamil Nadu. In the analogue era, the MSO had 7 million subscribers.

Kerala Cable Communicators Ltd (KCCL) has 2.13 million active subscribers in Kerala. Thamizhaga Cable TV Communication Pvt Ltd ( TCCL) has 1.59 million subscribers across Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Pondicherry.

Kerala-based Asianet Satellite Communications has 1.45 million active subscribers in Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh & Telangana. e-Digital has 1.25 million subscribers in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.

Sun Group’s Kal Cables boasts of an active subscriber base of 1.2 million in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Pondicherry. It is followed by VK Digital which has 1.1 million active subscribers across Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Pondicherry.

UCN Cable, which has operations in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, has 1 million active subscribers. Act Digital has 0.74 million active subscribers in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana.


  • 46
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tags