- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Reliance Jio crosses 50 mn subs; Jio media apps to be available free till Mar 2017
MUMBAI: Mukesh Ambani-controlled Reliance Jio Infocomm has said that it has crossed 50 million subscribers in just 83 days from the commencement of services on 5 September 2016.
The average rate of addition of 6 lakh subscribers per day is the fastest achieved by any technology company in the world including the likes of Facebook, WhatsApp and Skype.
Reliance chairman Mukesh Ambani today said in a live feed on YouTube that the company has also launched ‘Jio Happy New Year Offer’ (JNO), which will be effective from 4 December. All Jio subscribers will be entitled to certain special benefits under the JNO, which will comprise Jio’s data, voice, video and the full bouquet of Jio applications and content, absolutely free, up to 31 March 2017.
The benefits will be available to all subscribers signing up for Jio services up to 3 March 2017. The existing Jio Welcome Offer (JWO) users will continue to enjoy the unlimited benefits under JWO up to 31 December 2016, following which they would be automatically signed up for JNO as well.
Considering 80% of Jio subscribers use up to 1 GB of data daily and the remaining 20% use disproportionately more data, Jio has limited the high-speed-data quantity to 1 GB per day per user, following which the speed will be reduced to 128 Kbps.
This step has been taken to ensure that all Jio users get superior data experience. Attractive tariff options have been offered for subscribers wishing to consume additional data beyond 1 GB per day at regular speed as part of the JNO.
Jio is introducing a completely digital recharge and billing experience. Subscribers will have an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the digital billing experience during the JNO so that they do not face an issue during the charging phase.
Regarding interconnect, Jio said that the constrained interconnection capacity of the incumbent operators had plagued the company for the first few months. While there has been an improvement in recent days following the intervention of the government and TRAI, Jio’s subscribers have not been able to enjoy the benefits of free HD-quality voice services so far, and thus the JNO would provide an opportunity to all the subscribers to experience seamless Jio services.
Jio has successfully rolled out eKYC across 2 lakh outlets in India, thereby allowing activation of SIM to get completed in less than five minutes. More than 95% of the activations are being done in a paperless manner through eKYC. The company is in the process of doubling the network, to 4 lakh digitally enabled outlets by March 2017.
It has also introduced home delivery of Jio SIMs, so that enterprise and high-end customers can get a Jio SIM home-delivered and activated in 5 minutes through eKYC. This feature is being progressively launched across India through MyJio application and will be available in top 100 cities by 31 December 2016.
Jio claims to have built a data-strong network for the internet from the ground up. This has been demonstrated by the 52 million subscribers who have made the most of Jio Digital Life services and are, on average, using 25 times more data than the average Indian broadband user.
Overall, Jio claims that it is not only delivering four times more data than all other Indian telecom operators combined, but also much faster throughput than any other mobile network in India.
To drive adoption of digital money, Jio Money is rapidly expanding its reach to millions of touch points where Aadhar-based micro-ATMs will be deployed.
Jio also announced the launch of the Jio Money Merchant Solution. This solution provides access to Jio’s suite of services, including customised offerings such as digital money for a very important segment of the Indian economy.
This will enable digital transactions of all types, whether at mandis, small shops, restaurants, railway ticket counters, bus and mass transits, or person-to-person money transfers.
Taking a dig at the top three telecom companies, Ambani said that they have blocked as many as “900 crore” calls made on Reliance Jio network.
“We have received a lot of support from Jio customers but have not received similar support from the existing companies,” Ambani said.
“Benefits of Jio’s superior technology have been denied to customers due to anti-competitive behaviour of incumbent operators,” he added.
Relaince Jio has so far invested over $20 billion in setting up a pan-India telecom network. Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, older players in the Indian market, have a subscriber base of around 257 million and 200 million respectively.