24 Nov 2017
Live Post
PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK

DTH inactive subscribers grew 5.2% to reach 34.4 mn: TRAI

MUMBAI: Inactive direct-to-home (DTH) subscribers are growing at above 5% for the last two quarters ending 31 December, data provided by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) showed.

The inactive subscriber base of the six private DTH operators rose 5.2% over the earlier quarter to reach 34.40 million in the three months ended December. In the preceding quarter, this had grown 5.4% to touch 32.71 million.

The active subscriber base, on the other hand, rose 1.2% to 62.65 million in the quarter ended 31 December. In the prior quarter, this had grown 2.3% to reach 61.90 million. This is based on data provided by DTH operators to TRAI.

Quarterly growth in Net Active subscribers (in million)
Thus, the active subscriber component stood at 64.55% of the total DTH subscriber base in the quarter ended 31 December 2016. Inactive subscribers comprised 35.45% of the DTH subscriber universe.

So, how does the ratio compare with the preceding quarter ended 30 September 2016? Active subscribers comprised 65.42% of the total base, a shade higher than the quarter ended 31 December. Inactive subscribers, on the other hand, comprised 34.58% of the total base.

Overall, the total subscriber base of the private DTH operators increased 2.57% to 97.05 million from 94.61 million in the prior quarter.

In terms of market share, Dish TV had the highest share with 25%, closely followed by Tata Sky at 23%. Videocon d2h and Airtel Digital TV had 20% share each. Sun Direct had 10% share of the market while Reliance Digital TV’s share was a miniscule 2%.

Market Share of 6 pay DTH Operators as on 31.12.2016 in
During the quarter, Dish TV, Airtel Digital TV and Videocon d2h had added 204,000, 183,000 and 250,000 net subscribers respectively.

Also Read: