- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
ZMCL’s English news channel to launch in Feb–Mar: Subhash Chandra
MUMBAI: Subhash Chandra-promoted Zee Media Corporation Ltd (ZMCL) is planning to launch its proposed English news channel towards the end of the current fiscal.
“The channel will be launched in February–March,” Chandra said.
However, when asked about ZMCL’s talks with CNN, Chandra refused to reveal anything. “I don’t want to say anything about that at this point,” he said.
He also said that the company is tying in advertisers as founding partners for the proposed channel.
“We are launching an English medium news channel in which we are taking certain advertisers as founding partners. We are going to give them good pricing and good rates,” Chandra revealed.
Earlier, Chandra had said that the English news channel would be positioned as a technology-driven news channel.
“We are about to launch an English news channel. We were discussing the whole technological engine we are going to use. I understood what technology my colleagues wanted to introduce in the news space,” Chandra had said while giving a valedictory speech at Exchange4Media conclave.
“I said why we don’t have a vision that we are not going to be a news organisation but we are going to be a technology company incidentally giving news as a product. That is the positioning we have decided last week for our English news channel.”
As reported earlier, ZMCL is planning to launch an English news channel with an Indian point of view in the next fiscal.
The company is in talks with CNN to launch an English-language global news channel. However, Chandra had earlier made it clear that he would go ahead with the channel irrespective of whether the tie-up with CNN materialises or not.
ZMCL owns two national (Zee News and Zee Business) and eight regional local news channels (Zee Sangam, Zee Marathi, Zee Rajasthan, Zee MP/Chhattisgarh, Zee Kalinga, 24 Ghanta, Zee Punjab/Haryana/Himachal and Maurya TV).