- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Zee TV to take on Star Plus’ ‘Diya Aur Baati Hum’ with Ekta Kapoor’s ‘Kumkum Bhagya’
MUMBAI: Zee TV is gearing up to throw the gauntlet to Star Plus’ mighty fiction serial ‘Diya Aur Baati Hum’ with a show loosely based on Jane Austen’s classic ‘Sense and Sensibility’.
Produced by Balaji Telefilms, the show ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ will soon take the weekday 9 pm slot on Zee TV.
Consequently, the current show ‘Pavitra Rishta’, another Balaji Telefilms show, will shift to the 6.30 pm band. The channel rules the 8 pm slot with its historical property ‘Jodha Akbar’, again a Balaji Telefilms show, and expects to rub off on the new show at 9 pm.
Balaji Telefilms joint MD Ekta Kapoor said, “‘Pavitra Rishta’ has been on-air for over four years now and the journey has been most gratifying for me as a maker. After ‘Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi’ if there is any other show which is close to my heart, then it is ‘Pavitra Rishta’.”
“While the audiences who are hooked on to ‘Pavitra Rishta’ will continue to enjoy the show at 6.30 pm, the new show ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ will open at 9 pm, drawing maximum eyeballs,” Kapoor added.
‘Kumkum Bhagya’ traces the life of a mother who runs a marriage hall and lives with the hope of seeing her two daughters—poles apart in bearing, outlook and disposition—happily married someday.
Balaji Telefilms’ association with Zee TV dates back almost two decades when the partnership produced ‘Hum Paanch’.
The show features Shabbir Ahluwalia, who plays rock star Akki, and Sriti Jha and Mrunal Thakur, who respectively play the two sisters Pragya and Bulbul.