- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
Zee targets 500 mn foreign viewership base by 2021; French channel launch soon
NEW DELHI: Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) is on an overseas expansion mood. New channel launches and localisation are part of the strategy as the media major seeks to grow its foreign viewership over two fold with a base of over 500 million by 2021.
Already being in several languages, the company is planning to launch a channel in French language soon.
ZEEL chairman Subhash Chandra said the target is to reach 500 million viewers by 2021, up from the current 200-220 million viewers of foreign language in foreign countries.
“If we attain that target, then the western world would benefit from the Indian culture, system and ethos and our country would also benefit,” said Chandra while delivering the keynote address at a symposium.
Outlining Zee’s historic growth, Chandra said that the company started its global programming in Indonesia by dubbing its content. Zee has spread its content to Arabic, Russian, German and English languages in the US, European and African countries. French is the next destination, Chandra said.
On Tuesday, ZEEL announced the launch of its Telugu movie channel, Zee Cinemalu, on Dish and Sling TV in the US as a part of the popular Telugu pack. The launch brings the total tally of Zee channels in the US to 37, making it the biggest multi-cultural broadcaster in the US.