- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Zee targets 500 mn foreign viewership base by 2021; French channel launch soon
NEW DELHI: Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) is on an overseas expansion mood. New channel launches and localisation are part of the strategy as the media major seeks to grow its foreign viewership over two fold with a base of over 500 million by 2021.
Already being in several languages, the company is planning to launch a channel in French language soon.
ZEEL chairman Subhash Chandra said the target is to reach 500 million viewers by 2021, up from the current 200-220 million viewers of foreign language in foreign countries.
“If we attain that target, then the western world would benefit from the Indian culture, system and ethos and our country would also benefit,” said Chandra while delivering the keynote address at a symposium.
Outlining Zee’s historic growth, Chandra said that the company started its global programming in Indonesia by dubbing its content. Zee has spread its content to Arabic, Russian, German and English languages in the US, European and African countries. French is the next destination, Chandra said.
On Tuesday, ZEEL announced the launch of its Telugu movie channel, Zee Cinemalu, on Dish and Sling TV in the US as a part of the popular Telugu pack. The launch brings the total tally of Zee channels in the US to 37, making it the biggest multi-cultural broadcaster in the US.