- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Zee Tamizh on refresh mode
MUMBAI: Realigning its strategy for growth, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd’s (ZEEL) Tamil general entertainment channel Zee Tamizh is on a content revamp mode in the months of February and March.
In a market dominated by Sun TV, other players are striving hard to up the ante with newer formats in the fiction and non-fiction space. While Star India’s Vijay TV is holding the ground at the second spot, Zee Tamizh is at third.
According to a source, some Zee Tamizh shows have given a poor performance lately and the content refresh strategy is meant to address this.
Moreover, with ZEEL EVP of regional channels Sharada Sunder getting the additional charge of the Tamil GEC, the strategy is to get in new formats to engage with the audiences and retain stickiness.
The first step was taken recently when the channel launched a new fiction show entitled ‘Lakshmi Vandachu’ in the primetime slot at 9:30 pm. To build its 8 pm slot, the channel also launched ‘Mapillai’, which is the dubbed version of Zee TV’s ‘Jamai Raja’
On 23 February, the channel will launch yet another fiction show to fill the 7 pm band. Going ahead, in March the channel will launch two big non-fiction shows that are currently in the planning stage. The source added that one of these would be a game show, while the other show would be a celebrity-based show.
“Some concepts are being discussed right now, but the format will either be a foreign format or the channel’s home-grown format. The celeb-based show might be a game or dance show,” the source explained.
While Zee Tamizh is strengthening its programming line-up with new shows, it is also working on its movie acquisition strategy. Recently, it acquired the satellite rights of two big films ‘Uttama Villain’ and ‘Rajini Murugan’.