- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Starsports.com creates new record; sees 2.8 mn viewers on a single IPL day
MUMBAI: Star Sports has announced that the video streaming of Pepsi IPL 2014 on its site Starsports.com created records on digital yesterday, including for the highest traffic for a sporting event outside the Super Bowl in the US.
On the back of two big playoff matches, Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians, and Kings XI Punjab vs Kolkata Knight Riders, Starsports.com hit a new high for a single day, attracting 2.8 million consumers who followed the video service online.
Earlier this year, NBC Olympics had claimed the record for the most-watched authenticated stream for any internet event when it generated more than 2.1 million unique video users on 21 February 2014, the day of the men’s semi-finals between the USA and Canada.
Prior to this year’s tournament, the biggest IPL day was in April 2013 when Chris Gayle scored 175 for Royal Challengers Bangalore, a match that attracted around 1.5 million sports fans.
The biggest record for a single day worldwide is still believed to be the 2014 Super Bowl on a sister service, 21st Century Fox’s Foxsports.com, which attracted 5.5 million unique visitors.
Starsports.com has attracted more than 55 million visits in the last six weeks. These sports fans watched 450 million minutes of video on the destination. Reflecting the underlying trend in video consumption in India, the destination crossed 1 million mobile video views in a single day for the first time.
Star India executive VP, head, new media Ajit Mohan said, “It was less than a year ago that we launched Starsports.com. Our ambition was to redefine the sports experience for the Indian fan. For this service to take on and beat global records is no mean achievement. We have succeeded in creating a compelling new destination for sports, and that is a mobile screen.”