- Fashion TV working on India linear, SVOD launch by 2018-end
- Baggage tow tractor rams into Air India plane at IGI
- Reliance says Jio to turn profitable 'shortly'
- Presence of outsider in Talwars' flat cannot be ruled out: HC on Aarushi case
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Suspects' sketches released but SIT has nothing else
Star’s new Hindi movie channel to launch on 21 May
MUMBAI: Broadcaster Star India is all set to launch its free-to-air (FTA) Hindi movie channel Star Utsav Movies on 21 May.
As reported earlier, the new channel will feature a mix of old and new films. Currently, Star owns and operates two pay Hindi movie channels—Star Gold and Movies OK.
Even before its launch, the broadcaster had secured a distribution deal with Doordarshan’s FTA direct-to-home (DTH) platform Freedish. Viacom18’s new Hindi movie channel Rishtey Cineplex has also launched on Freedish.
Star had received the licence for the channel in February. However, the licence, which was earlier under the Star Gold Romance, was later renamed Star Utsav Movies.
Star also runs an FTA GEC called Star Utsav, which is available on Freedish. Since Star Utsav is already a strong brand in the FTA market, the broadcaster thought it wise to launch the channel under the Utsav brand.
The Hindi movie genre is awash with FTA channels including Enterr10, Cinema TV, WOW Cinema, RT Movies, Housefull Movies and Maha Movie.