- McDonald’s to shut down 169 outlets in India
- Triple talaq violates rights of Muslim women: SC
- WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
- Airtel to launch its own Rs 2500 4G smartphone before Diwali
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
Star Sports becomes presenting sponsor of Subroto Cup
MUMBAI: Leading sports network Star Sports has joined inter-school football tournament Subroto Cup as presenting sponsor. The association underlines Star Sports’ commitment to support and provide platforms for the grassroots development of sport in the country.
Through this partnership with Subroto Cup, Star Sports will further support India’s promising football talent that will compete in this prestigious junior football tournament annually.
The 2015 edition of the junior football tournament will be held in the presence of football legend Pele. As its special ambassador, Pele will grace the finals of Subroto Cup, which will take place on 16 October.
Star India COO Sanjay Gupta said, “At Star Sports, we are committed to fostering a multi-sport culture in India. We believe Sports is a trigger for creating and nurturing outstanding new opportunities for young India and tournaments like Subroto Cup are pivotal to build future heroes of Indian football. We are delighted to partner Subroto Cup that helps nurture heroes out of the millions of passionate, young sports fans across India.”
Over the years, the scope of the tournament has been widened to include foreign participation as a logical step forward in an endeavour to encourage budding footballers and offer them international exposure at a tender age.
As a result, teams from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Afghanistan, Malaysia, Israel, Bhutan, the UAE, Uzbekistan, Switzerland, the UK and Ukraine have participated in this tournament in the recent past.