- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
Star launches India’s first Tamil sports channel
MUMBAI: Star has launched India’s first Tamil sports channel. Named Star Sports Tamil 1, this is Star India’s second regional-language sports channel after Hindi.
Star’s sports channels in Hindi were Star Sports 3 and Star Sports HD 3. The two channels have now been renamed Star Sports Hindi 1 and Star Sports Hindi 1 HD.
The first major event on Star Sports Tamil 1 will be the ICC Champions Trophy 2017. Other properties that will air on the channel are Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL 2.0), Pro Kabaddi Season 5 and Indian Super League (ISL).
The channel will provide curated Tamil content localised to Tamil super stars – R. Ashwin, M S Dhoni, TNPL stars, and stars from Chennaiyin FC.
A 360-degree marketing campaign, #MachiAreYouReady (Buddy, are you ready), has commenced along with the launch of the channel. A tribute to the multi-sport culture of the state, the campaign underlines Tamil pride and is rich with nuances such as the presence of the soil of Tamil Nadu in the TVC. The campaign will be supplemented by comprehensive, high-impact promotions on radio, TV, print, digital and OOH.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Tamil Nadu’s favourite cricketer and Indian sports icon, a Star Sports ambassador, is featuring prominently in the campaign. Thala Dhoni embodies the pride, valour and sportsmanship of the Tamil culture.
A Star India spokesperson said, “Tamil Nadu is a unique market with high affinity to language content and very distinctive viewing habits. Star India’s strong presence in the state has helped us understand the pulse of the Tamil sports fans. Star Sports Tamil is an extension of our belief to give people more relevant regional sports content and celebrate the ‘Tamizh’ culture. This is another resolute step in our constant endeavour to bring fans closer to sports.”
The channel will feature content exclusively packaged with a line-up of eminent Tamilian hosts and commentators from the sports fraternity such as K Srikkanth, L. Sivaramakrishnan, S. Badrinath, S Sriram, S Ramesh, H Badani. Star Sports Tamil will be available on leading DTH and cable operators across Tamil Nadu as well as rest of India.