- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
Sony Six claims to be the most-viewed sports channel of 2014
MUMBAI: Multi Screen Media’s (MSM) sportainment channel Sony Six has claimed to be the most-viewed sports channel of 2014, amassing over 181 million viewers from across India.
Quoting TAM, the channel claimed that 40 per cent of the viewership (74.1 million) came from the youth (15–35 years) while 45 per cent of its total viewers (82 million) were female. Both figures, the channel said, are the highest for any sports channel in 2014 for CS 4+, All India data.
Comparably, Star Sports 1 was the second most-viewed channel with 172.3 million, while Hindi sports channel Star Sports 3 was marginally behind at the third spot with 169.2 million viewers. Ten Sports was at the fourth spot with 161.1 million viewers.
Sony Six business head Prasana Krishnan said, “It is a proud moment for us, as 2014 has been a defining year for the channel. We have established ourselves as one of the leading sports broadcasters in the country just within 2 years of our launch. With an exciting line-up for 2015 we hope to carry forward the momentum and serve a diverse brand of sports programming, which has hitherto not been seen on Indian television.”
The channel began the year by airing the Indian cricket team’s tour of New Zealand which gave an immediate thrust to its viewership. This was soon followed by the telecast of two of the biggest sporting events of the calendar year—the Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL) and the FIFA World Cup 2014. In terms of other marquee properties, NBA witnessed a significant rise in its viewership during the playoffs and the finals of its last season, which concluded earlier this year. Additionally, the channel’s fight sport properties such as UFC and TNA continued to enjoy a loyal following, particularly in the northern markets of the country.
2015 starts with the telecast of the first Grand Slam of the season, the Australian Open Tennis Championship alongside the African Cup of Nations and the debut of India’s very own Mahabali Shera on TNA. Besides, for the first time Sony Six will broadcast the NFL Super Bowl live and exclusive for the Indian viewers. The cash- and entertainment-rich IPL is also back this year to enthral the audience.