- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Scooby-Doo is UK’s favourite kids TV show
MUMBAI: New research from UK pay TV service provider Sky’s division Sky Kids reveals that Boomerang channel series Scooby-Doo tops the chart as the UK’s favourite kids TV show amongst both nostalgic parents and young children, with 23 per cent of the vote.
The results prove that the TV programme, famous for helping solve ghostly mysteries, is as popular today as it was after first bursting onto screens.
The survey of 2,300 kids aged five to nine along with their parents, commissioned to mark the launch of the new Sky Kids app, finds that another timeless show comes in second place, with 22% of parents and children picking Boomerang’s slapstick comedy Tom and Jerry.
Joint third are favourites Nicktoons’ ever-optimistic hero SpongeBob SquarePants and the British pre-school eOne series Peppa Pig (17%). Fifth place goes to the magical show ‘Ben And Holly’ (14 per cent), also from eOne.
The research shows whatever the family favourite, kids don’t seem to tire of re-watching their much-loved shows time and time again at a remarkable 53 times a year, compared with parents who admitted to still watching their beloved childhood TV show 12 times in the past 12 months.
Even when children know how an episode unfolds, these shows have the qualities that make them so re-watchable, with kids realising the importance of comedy at a young age and picking a TV programme because “it’s funny” (59 per cent). The imaginative stories and playful characters are also reasons why they choose to watch a show over and over again, with 47 per cent of children stating “I like the adventures they go on” and 38 per cent revealing they “love the characters”. Meanwhile, adults say that they cherish watching children’s TV as it’s nostalgic and brings back happy memories of their own childhood (29 per cent), as well as being a great way to bond with their little ones (21 per cent).
Parenting expert and psychologist and known for Channel 4’s series ‘The Secret Life of 4-, 5-, and 6-Year-Olds’ Dr Sam Wass commented, “As parents we spend so much time as the authority figure, imposing boundaries and setting rules, so sitting down to watch TV with your child can help to reset and recharge your relationship. I love that so many children voted for shows and cartoons that their parents also used to enjoy when they were young and that they are all available on the Sky Kids app. Watching and discussing these shows together will allow your child to see the child that was once in you.”
The Sky Kids app is designed for children aged 3-9 and features thousands of episodes of their beloved TV shows, including favourites Scooby-Doo, Peppa Pig and SpongeBob SquarePants. The app, which launched in March and is available to download from both Google Play and Apple’s App Store, offers a fun and safe way to enjoy the widest range of the most popular kids’ TV programmes. All of the content is available on demand and gives children their own profile with shows tailored to their age.
Sky kids content head Lucy Murphy said, “It’s great to see Scooby-Doo standing the test of time and remaining a favourite amongst kids and parents. The Sky Kids app has thousands of episodes of kids TV shows, from traditional favourites like Tom and Jerry through to favourites today such as Ben and Holly, so children and parents alike can enjoy their most-loved shows.”
The top reasons kids re-watch their favourite shows are:
They find the plot or characters funny (59 per cent)
Likeable characters (38 per cent)
Because it makes them happy (32 per cent )
Enjoyable character adventures (23 per cent )
Loveable music, theme tunes and songs (20 per cent)
Pretending they are a character in the show (13 per cent)
Top 10 shows of all time voted for by children and adults:
1. Scooby-Doo = 23 per cent
2. Tom and Jerry = 22 per cent
3. SpongeBob SquarePants = 17 per cent
3. Peppa Pig = 17 per cent
5. Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom = 14 per cent
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = 13 per cent
7. Paw Patrol = 12 per cent
8. Dora the Explorer = 12 per cent
9. Horrible Histories = 11 per cent
10. Ben 10 = 10 per cent
Top 10 children’s shows of all time voted for by children:
1. Scooby-Doo = 25 per cent
2. Tom and Jerry = 22 per cent
3. SpongeBob SquarePants = 22 per cent
4. Peppa Pig = 20 per cent
5. Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom = 18 per cent
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = 16 per cent
7. Paw Patrol = 16 per cent
8. Dora the Explorer = 14 per cent
9. Adventure Time = 13 per cent
10. Ben 10 = 12 per cent
Top 10 children’s shows of all time voted for by adults:
1. Tom and Jerry = 21 per cent
2. Scooby-Doo = 20 per cent
3. Blue Peter = 13 per cent
4. Peppa Pig = 13 per cent
5. SpongeBob SquarePants = 11 per cent
6. Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom = 10 per cent
7. Horrible Histories = 10 per cent
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = 10 per cent
9. Mr Men = Nine per cent
10. Mr Benn = Nine per cent