- India’s top 5 OTT services saw 100% growth in monthly user base in H1 2017
- 'Peepli Live' Co-Director Mahmood Farooqui Acquitted In Rape Case
- BHU Molestation: Police Allegedly Thrash Female Students Demanding A Safe Campus
- US Supreme Court has option to duck Trump's travel ban ruling
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- PV Sindhu Nominated For Padma Bhushan By Sports Ministry
- Assets Worth 1.16 Crores Linked To Karti Chidambaram Are Seized
MIB warns MSOs against switching off signals to LCOs without notice
MUMBAI: The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) has issued a warning to multi-system operators (MSOs) against disconnecting signals to local cable operators (LCOs) without giving a three weeks’ notice as per the regulation.
The MIB said that it has received complaints that some MSOs are disconnecting signals to cable subscribers without giving any notice in violation of the above-mentioned regulation.
Advising all MSOs to comply with the regulations, the MIB warned that any violation in this regard would be taken seriously and action would be initiated against the errant MSOs.
As per Chapter V of the Standards of Quality of Service (Digital Addressable Cable Systems) Regulations, 2012 issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), no MSO shall disconnect the signals of a TV channel of a linked local cable operator without giving a three weeks’ notice to such local cable operator.
Notice of disconnection of signals of TV channel is also required to be published in two leading local newspapers of the state in which the service provider is providing the services, out of which one notice shall be published in the newspaper in the local language.
The ministry said that the disconnection without giving proper notice is also a violation of the undertaking given by MSOs in Form 2 of their application which states: “We shall ensure that my/our cable television network shall be run in accordance with the provisions of the Cable Television Network (Regulations) Act 1995 and the rules made thereunder, regulations, orders, guidelines or the directions issued by the Central Government or the Authority from time to time.”