- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
IPL 9 finale watched by 121 million viewers
MUMBAI: After ruling prime time on Indian television for most of April and May, the Indian Premier League (IPL) Season 9 finale between the Royal Challengers Bangalore and Sunrisers Hyderabad was watched by a whopping 121 million viewers.
This marked a 55% jump over the event’s cumulative reach average, IPL’s official broadcaster Sony Pictures Networks (SPN) India said.
As per BARC figures for India (urban + rural), the finale recorded a 168% growth in viewership at 44,684 TVTs over the viewership event average, making it the most-viewed event on the evening of 29 May.
The tournament had a cumulative reach of 361 million viewers on Sony Max, Sony Six and Sony ESPN.
IPL 9 was a leader in primetime with an average of 819 GVM, which is 108% more than the No. 2 channel at 394 GVM at the all-India level.
According to Sony, IPL 2016 has been viewed by 54% of India’s total television-viewing audiences, which makes it the most-viewed event on pay television.
The top-performing markets for IPL 2016 were Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Maharashtra/Goa, Gujarat and Karnataka, according to BARC viewership data the broadcaster stated.