- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
IPL 9 finale watched by 121 million viewers
MUMBAI: After ruling prime time on Indian television for most of April and May, the Indian Premier League (IPL) Season 9 finale between the Royal Challengers Bangalore and Sunrisers Hyderabad was watched by a whopping 121 million viewers.
This marked a 55% jump over the event’s cumulative reach average, IPL’s official broadcaster Sony Pictures Networks (SPN) India said.
As per BARC figures for India (urban + rural), the finale recorded a 168% growth in viewership at 44,684 TVTs over the viewership event average, making it the most-viewed event on the evening of 29 May.
The tournament had a cumulative reach of 361 million viewers on Sony Max, Sony Six and Sony ESPN.
IPL 9 was a leader in primetime with an average of 819 GVM, which is 108% more than the No. 2 channel at 394 GVM at the all-India level.
According to Sony, IPL 2016 has been viewed by 54% of India’s total television-viewing audiences, which makes it the most-viewed event on pay television.
The top-performing markets for IPL 2016 were Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Maharashtra/Goa, Gujarat and Karnataka, according to BARC viewership data the broadcaster stated.