- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
IMAX inks first TV distribution deal with Discovery for original content
MUMBAI: IMAX Corporation has signed its first television distribution agreement for original content with Discovery Communications.
The deal gives Discovery Channel 18 months of exclusive paid global television rights for up to 10 IMAX documentary films to be released through the IMAX Original Film Fund following the titles’ theatrical release across the IMAX institutional theatre network.
As part of the agreement, Discovery Channel will also consult IMAX on development, production and marketing.
The IMAX Original Film Fund was established in 2014 to deliver new educational documentaries for the company’s institutional partners, which include many of the world’s most prestigious museums, science centres and aquariums. The fund will finance an ongoing supply of educational documentaries that push the envelope of traditional documentary filmmaking for a new generation of moviegoers.
“As content is created and consumed across multiple platforms, we continue to innovate and look for new ways to maximise the reach of our original films. We are delighted to partner with Discovery to help us achieve this goal,” said IMAX CEO Richard L Gelfond.
“From content creation and capture to distribution and presentation, IMAX is a diversified company involved in every aspect of the entertainment ecosystem. As today’s agreement shows, we will continue to invest in all parts of our business to drive long-term, sustainable growth and bring IMAX to more and more consumers worldwide.”
“Discovery is dedicated to nourishing our global audiences with the most compelling and highest-quality content on the planet,” said Discovery Communications president and CEO David Zaslav.
“IMAX is a terrific company and partner, and we are proud to come together to ensure these important documentary films are given, through Discovery’s unmatched global distribution platform, the expanded viewership they deserve.”