- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Hindi GECs take a hit from cricket; DD biggest gainer
MUMBAI: Cricket affected the performance of the Hindi general entertainment channels (GECs) in the week ended 4 March. The top four GECs lost viewership largely due to India’s strong outing in the Asia T20 Cricket Cup.
The biggest gainer was pubcaster DD National, which moved from outside the top 10 league in the preceding week to occupy the fifth spot in the Hindi GEC hierarchy.
There was no change in the order of the top four channels, with Star Plus remaining the No. 1 Hindi GEC. Colors, Zee TV and free-to-air (FTA) channel Zee Anmol made up the rest of the top four list. Zee TV actually reported viewership loss for the fourth consecutive week.
Sony Pal remained at No. 6 while Star Utsav dropped two ranks from the previous week to be No. 7. Like OK, Rishtey and SAB completed the remaining places in the top 10. Sony Entertainment Television moved out of the top 10 ring.
Top 5 programmes
Top GEC show ‘Naagin’, shown on Colors, slipped to No. 2 after being No. 1 for the last 13 weeks.
Edging out ‘Naagin’ from the top of the cliff was the India–Pakistan match in the Asia Cup. The telecast of the sporting event on DD National became the No. 1 programme for the week ended 4 March.
The two other cricket matches involving India were the third and fourth most-watched programmes of the week. The fifth spot was occupied by Star Plus’ ‘Saath Nibhaana Saathiya’.
Hindi movie channels
Aided by the telecast of Pro Kabaddi league, Star Gold moved a spot up to be the second most-watched Hindi movie channel in Week 9 of 2016.
Zee Cinema dropped out of No. 2 to the third position, while Movies OK and &Pictures retained their fourth and fifth rankings. Max remained the numero uno Hindi movie channel.
‘Kanchana’, shown on Max, was the top-rated movie of the week. The next four positions were occupied by Pro Kabaddi league, telecast on Star Gold.