- Fashion TV working on India linear, SVOD launch by 2018-end
- Baggage tow tractor rams into Air India plane at IGI
- Reliance says Jio to turn profitable 'shortly'
- Presence of outsider in Talwars' flat cannot be ruled out: HC on Aarushi case
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Suspects' sketches released but SIT has nothing else
High Court asks UP chief secretary to verify 2 blocked news channels
MUMBAI: The Lucknow division bench of the Allahabad High Court ordered Uttar Pradesh chief secretary to verify if two news channels, Times Now and India News, were blocked by the cable operators in the state on the state government’s orders.
The order was passed by the High Court bench comprising Justice Imtiyaz Murtaza and Justice DK Upadhyay while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) alleging that the Samajwadi Party-led Uttar Pradesh state government had blocked the channels due to negative coverage of the Saifai Mahotsav.
As per a PTI report, the standing counsel IP Singh rubbished the allegations in the PIL, terming it baseless. He argued that no such directions to block the channels were given by the SP government.
The court has given time till 22 January to the chief secretary to verify and submit report in the court.
The two channels were blacked out last week. However, when the news surfaced in media, the “unofficial ban” was lifted.