- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
High Court asks UP chief secretary to verify 2 blocked news channels
MUMBAI: The Lucknow division bench of the Allahabad High Court ordered Uttar Pradesh chief secretary to verify if two news channels, Times Now and India News, were blocked by the cable operators in the state on the state government’s orders.
The order was passed by the High Court bench comprising Justice Imtiyaz Murtaza and Justice DK Upadhyay while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) alleging that the Samajwadi Party-led Uttar Pradesh state government had blocked the channels due to negative coverage of the Saifai Mahotsav.
As per a PTI report, the standing counsel IP Singh rubbished the allegations in the PIL, terming it baseless. He argued that no such directions to block the channels were given by the SP government.
The court has given time till 22 January to the chief secretary to verify and submit report in the court.
The two channels were blacked out last week. However, when the news surfaced in media, the “unofficial ban” was lifted.