- India TV’s Rajat Sharma takes charge as NBA prez for third time
- iCubesWire floats $3 mn fund for digital startups
- CRPF, Northern Rails launch cleanliness drive at station
- Reliance Jio 4G speeds rise by 50 per cent as free data offers end: OpenSignal
- Hyderabad man accused of burning wife to death for not getting an MBBS seat
- FIR against Honeypreet, police steps up search operations
- Dawood's brother Iqbal Kaskar arrested in extortion case
- Manmohan Singh Says Demonetisation and GST Double Whammy For Economy
Govt to launch DD Kisan soon, says I&B Minister Javadekar
MUMBAI: Keeping its poll promise, the government is planning to launch a 24-hour channel for farmers called DD Kisan. The government is working with Prasar Bharati to launch the channel at the earliest.
The modalities of the new channel are still being worked out on whether there should be one national channel with regional feeds or have separate channels for each region.
The new channel will provide the farming community with information related to weather and seeds. It must be noted that Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) already run agriculture-related programmes.
“DD Kisan will come up very soon,” newswire PTI quotes Information & Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar as saying.
As per the Prasar Bharati Act, the public broadcaster should lay emphasis on the fields of agriculture and rural development along with areas like education and spread of literacy, environment, health and family welfare, and science and technology.