- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
Govt to launch DD Kisan soon, says I&B Minister Javadekar
MUMBAI: Keeping its poll promise, the government is planning to launch a 24-hour channel for farmers called DD Kisan. The government is working with Prasar Bharati to launch the channel at the earliest.
The modalities of the new channel are still being worked out on whether there should be one national channel with regional feeds or have separate channels for each region.
The new channel will provide the farming community with information related to weather and seeds. It must be noted that Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) already run agriculture-related programmes.
“DD Kisan will come up very soon,” newswire PTI quotes Information & Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar as saying.
As per the Prasar Bharati Act, the public broadcaster should lay emphasis on the fields of agriculture and rural development along with areas like education and spread of literacy, environment, health and family welfare, and science and technology.