- ACT Fibernet rolls-out 1 Gbps plan in Bengaluru after Hyderabad
- Vishnu Shankar takes charge as &TV business head
- Unitech Shares Plunge 13% As Supreme Court Stays NCLT Order
- Tax department probes unregulated bitcoin exchanges after valuations jump
- Coal scam: Fmr Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda, Fmr coal Secy held guilty
- Deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar was extended to March 31, 2018
Doordarshan to launch channel for north-eastern region
NEW DELHI: Prasar Bharati will launch a new channel for the north-eastern region.
Named DD Arun Prabha, the channel is slated for launch on 25 December. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has earmarked Rs 7 crore (Rs 70 million) for the channel.
The channel will air programmes on the diverse culture of the north-eastern states.
“North-east is an area that needs our focus. There are so many states with such diverse cultures and languages. We had asked the government a few years ago that every state in that region needs a separate channel, given the diversity,” Prasar Bharati chairperson A. Surya Prakash told Mint.
Prasar Bharati board took the decision to launch the channel in a meeting on 17 October.
Doordarshan already runs DD North-East, which telecasts entertainment and information-based programmes in Assamese, Bengali, English and other languages of the north-east region. “The existing channel has not been able to meet the cultural needs of the area because of its cultural diversity and multiple languages and dialects,” Prakash told the business daily.