- Tata Group To End All Business Dealings With Cyrus Mistry's Family Firms
- GJM supremo discharged in Madan Tamang murder case
- Trinamool Congress leading in municipal polls
- CoA tells Supreme Court: Sack BCCI's top three office-bearers
- Chandigarh: 10-year-old rape survivor denied abortion by Supreme Court gives birth to a girl
- Gujarat police officers Amin and Barot quit
- After controversy, DD denies blacking out Tripura CM, says speech was aired
- Sierra Leone mourns 100 children among dead in massive flooding
Dhoni retires from Test to focus on ODIs and T20
MUMBAI: Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India’s most successful captain in all formats of the game, has decided to retire from Test cricket with immediate effect in order to concentrate on the ODI and T20 formats.
Dhoni, aka Captain Cool, has decided to retire from Test Cricket citing the strain of playing all formats of cricket.
BCCI, while respecting Dhoni’s decision, thanked him for his contribution to Test cricket and the laurels that he has brought to India. Team India became the numero uno team in the Test rankings under Dhoni’s leadership.
In a Test career spanning 90 matches, Dhoni has scored 4,876 runs at an average of 38.09.
Virat Kohli will be the captain of the Indian team for the fourth and final Test against Australia to be played in Sydney from 6 January 2015.
“Seems like the other day that MSD debuted in Test cricket. After nine wonderful years, he says goodbye. He has several achievements both in front and behind the stumps but leading India to the No. 1 Test side would be the highlight of his Test career. I wish him the very best for the defence of the World Cup in 2015,” Sachin Tendulkar said in a statement.
Dhoni’s next challenge will be to retain the ICC Cricket World Cup due next year in Australia and New Zealand.