- Rajasthan govt's criminal laws ordinance challenged in HC
- Flipkart in talks with Swiggy, UrbanClap and UrbanLadder for buyouts
- UGC decision may reduce SC/ST, OBC faculty posts
- Supreme Court asks government to consider regulating playing of National Anthem
- Asthana's appointment destroying CBI's independence: Prashant Bhushan
- Bilkis Bano case: SC asks Gujarat to apprise it on departmental action against convicted policemen
DD Kisan expected to be launched mid-April
MUMBAI: The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) at the Centre is planning to launch DD Kisan by mid-April. The dedicated channel for farmers and the agriculture sector could be launched on the occasion of ‘Baisakhi’, which falls on 14 April.
According to a PTI report, Information and Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley had called a meeting of top MIB and Prasar Bharati officials to monitor the progress of the channel.
Apart from Jaitley, MoS in I&B ministry Rajyavardhan Rathore, I&B secretary Bimal Julka, Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar and senior DD officials participated in the meeting.
Jaitley, who is also the finance minister, had allocated Rs 100 crore (Rs 1 billion) for DD Kisan during Union Budget 2014.
Setting up regional Kisan TV channels was one of BJP’s pre-poll promises.
DD Kisan will provide the farming community with information related to weather and seeds. DD and All India Radio (AIR) already run agriculture-related programmes.