- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
Boxer Oscar de la Hoya to launch Spanish sports TV channel
MUMBAI: Retired star boxer Oscar de la Hoya is gearing up to launch his own Spanish sports and lifestyle television channel.
De la Hoya has partnered Mexican boxing mogul Jose ‘Pepe’ Gomez to launch ‘De la Hoya TV: Beyond Boxing’. De la Hoya made the announcement in Miami Beach at the NATPE TV programming convention.
The channel will be aimed primarily at Hispanic men who follow boxing and other combat sports. It will be offered to distributors as a free video-on-demand service starting later this year before transitioning to a traditional channel with a subscriber fee.
Programming plans include following top fighters as they prepare for bouts and other aspects of training. It will also have a Mexico-centric lifestyle component focused on destinations and hot spots in the country.
Investing his own money in the venture, De La Hoya will serve as chairman of the network. Victor Hugo Montero, founder of the Venezuelan network Sun Channel, will run the day-to-day operations as executive vice president and general manager. Jose ‘Pepe’ Gomez, who heads the promotion company Cancun Boxing and founded Mexican media company Group Quequi, will be executive chairman.
De La Hoya will become the latest celebrity to try his hand at television. Earlier, Oprah Winfrey teamed up with Discovery Communications Inc to launch ‘Own’ in 2011. Channels backed by other entertainers and athletes include Earvin Johnson’s Aspire, P Diddy’s Revolt and Jennifer Lopez’s NUVOtv.