- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Arnab Goswami’s Republic TV makes history, outraces peers in debut week
MUMBAI: Less than two weeks after the launch of Republic TV, India’s most popular TV news anchor Arnab Goswami is celebrating. He has created a moment of history, leading his English news channel to perch position in the very first week of launch. Not only has he dethroned long-time ruler Times Now, but Republic TV has also garnered half of the market share in the English news genre.
The celebrity anchor takes pride in toppling Times Now, of which he was the editor for 10 years. Incidentally, Goswami was credited with building Times Now as the numero uno English news channel on the back of his popular prime-time debate show ‘The Newshour’.
Although Republic TV created history by becoming No. 1 in its debut week, other English news channels also saw a jump in their viewership compared to the previous week.
In Week 19 of BARC data, Republic TV topped the chart with 2.1 million impressions, followed by Times Now with 1.1 million impressions.
NDTV 24×7, India Today Television and CNN-News18 hovered at 0.3 million impressions in that order, according to BARC data for the week ended 12 May. BBC World News was pushed out of the top 5.
Republic TV had a viewership share of 49.43% in the English news genre, followed by 26.8% for Times Now, 8.22% for NDTV 24×7, 8.17% for India Today Television and 7.35% for CNN-News18.
Thanks to Republic TV, the total impressions of the top five channels in Week 19 zoomed 160.9% to 4.28 million compared to 1.64 million in the previous week.
Top Hindi news channels in U+R HSM
The Hindi news genre, on the other hand, saw a decline in viewership with the impressions of the five toppers declining 5.56% over the previous week. The weekly impressions of the top five Hindi news channels in urban + rural Hindi-speaking market (HSM) de-grew to 37.97 crore impressions compared to 40.2 crore impressions a week ago.
There was no change in the pecking order of Hindi news channels in U+R HSM.
Top Hindi news channels in Urban HSM
The urban HSM saw no change in the pecking order, BARC data in Week 19 showed.
Top Hindi news channels in Rural HSM
In rural HSM, India News jumped to No. 3 position, pushing Zee News to No. 5.
ABP News moved up to settle at No. 4.
Top English business news channels
The viewership of English business news channels dropped by 22% to end at 0.79 million impressions compared to 1.01 million the previous week. CNBC TV18 dropped 25.23% while ET Now saw a 15.32% drop.
Top Hindi business news channels
CNBC Awaaz and Zee Business saw respectively 18.53% and 17.35% growth in viewership.
- English news channels walk out of BARC amid release of Republic TV viewership data
- Arnab Goswami calls NBA ‘a cabal of a few broadcasters’, bats for an independent TV news body
- War of words between Arnab Goswami and Times Group escalate
- Zee TV climbs to No. 3 among Hindi GECs
- India TV gets the better of ABP News to reclaim No. 2 spot