- Trinamool Congress leading in municipal polls
- CoA tells Supreme Court: Sack BCCI's top three office-bearers
- Chandigarh: 10-year-old rape survivor denied abortion by Supreme Court gives birth to a girl
- Gujarat police officers Amin and Barot quit
- After controversy, DD denies blacking out Tripura CM, says speech was aired
- Sierra Leone mourns 100 children among dead in massive flooding
Applications for 243 new TV channels at various stages of clearance: I&B minister
NEW DELHI: Minister of Information & Broadcasting (I&B) Manish Tewari has revealed that applications for 243 new TV channels are at various stages of clearance.
“Applications for 243 new channels are at various stages of clearance in consultation with various departments and ministries,” he told the Lok Sabha.
Tewari also stated that his ministry has granted permission to eleven TV channels since January 2013.
As reported earlier, the ministry has permitted four new television channels in 2014 which include The Green TV (Nomad Films), Hastey Raho (Teleone Consumers Product), Satlon News (Satlon Enterprise) and Maha Movie (Sangeet Television Network).
In 2013, seven new television channels were issued licences including Anugraha Malayalam (earlier Hind TV), CVR News English, CVR Spiritual Om, Page 3, Namastute (earlier RR News), 10 TV and Samachar Plus Rajasthan (earlier Buland News).
As of 31 January 2014, the government has permitted 786 private TV channels to operate in India, the minister added.
Of these, 389 are news and current affairs channels, while the rest are non-news and current affairs channels, he added.