- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
Vodafone launches online gaming festival in India
MUMBAI: As part of its 15-day online gaming fest in the country, telecom service provider Vodafone India is offering gaming enthusiasts a new gaming platform called ‘Vodafone U Game-a-Thon’.
Available on Google Play Store, the gaming extravaganza kicked off on 1 December and includes several gaming categories including sports, simulation, puzzles, among others.
Vodafone U is a lifestyle proposition designed especially for young Indians. Vodafone U claims to go beyond the conventional tariff plan and offers an array of telecom and non-telecom benefits that are best suited to the dynamic lifestyle of today’s youth.
Gaming has a huge Indian following. 71% smartphones users play mobile games on a regular basis, and it is the second-highest engaging category after chat apps. It is a growing trend among youth in India.
Vodafone India national brand head Siddharth Banerjee said, “Gaming is an identified passion point among today’s youth. Recent reports indicate that in the digital world, games are the second-highest engaging category in India after chat apps. Resonating with Vodafone U’s brand proposition of #FunAlwaysOn, we present ‘Vodafone U Game-A-Thon’, a unique platform where our customers will get a choice of 18 indie games to indulge and enjoy.”
Vodafone U customers can participate in the Vodafone U Game-A-Thon until 15 December 2016. Over 18 games are available to play in U mode to win prizes on all the 15 days across six categories—action, cricket, adventure, racing, puzzle and strategy.
India, the company said, has the second-largest developer community in the world, yet Indian developers have not reached the same scale as their global counterparts. Globally, gaming contributes to over 50% of app revenues and is the largest and most profitable segment of app business. To provide a fillip to the ecosystem, Vodafone has partnered the top 18 game developers in India to design a game-a-thon initiative.
Vodafone U Game-a-thon is currently live and has already driven more than one million downloads.