- Chandigarh: 10-year-old rape survivor denied abortion by Supreme Court gives birth to a girl
- Gujarat police officers Amin and Barot quit
- After controversy, DD denies blacking out Tripura CM, says speech was aired
- Sierra Leone mourns 100 children among dead in massive flooding
Twitter records 187 mn tweets for the Rio Olympics
MUMBAI: Twitter has recorded 187 million tweets for the Rio Olympics, leading to 75 billion impressions (views on and off Twitter) of tweets.
Top moment: #BRA wins #Gold in #Football
The roar of the crowd was felt on Twitter live every day and night of the Games. However,@neymarjr’s game winning penalty kick for Brazil in a shootout vs. #GER in the gold medal football match took top honours.
Here are the three most exciting moments of #Rio2016, as measured by Tweets per minute (TPM):
Top 5 Olympics moments for India based on Tweets Per Minute spikes
- PV Sindhu (@pvsindhu1) wins the first set of her Olympics final
- Dipa Karmakar (@DipaKarmakar) lands the Produnova in her Olympics final
- Sakshi Malik (@SakshiMalik) wins bronze in the final seconds of her repechage round
- Abhinav Bindra (@Abhinav_Bindra) makes it to a shootoff in the Olympics final
- Sania Mirza (@MirzaSania) and Rohan Bopanna (@rohanbopanna) win the first set of their semi-final
Most mentioned athletes and sports
With five more #gold medals, Michael Phelps led the Twitter conversation leaderboard. If Twitter gave out medals, here’s what the podium would look like based on Twitter mentions:
The Top 5 most mentioned Indian athletes:
- PV Sindhu (@pvsindhu1)
- Sakshi Malik (@SakshiMalik)
- Dipa Karmakar (@DipaKarmakar)
- Abhinav Bindra (@Abhinav_Bindra)
- Sania Mirza (@MirzaSania)
Here are the number of Tweets related to the Top 5 Indian athletes during the Olympics:
- PV Sindhu (@Pvsindhu1): 1.48 Million
- Sakshi Malik (@SakshiMalik): 576K
- Dipa Karmakar (@DipaKarmakar): 387K
- Abhinav Bindra (@abhinav_bindra): 255K
- Sania Mirza (@mirzasania): 143K
“Rio 2016 saw Indians come together to celebrate our women sporting heroes on Twitter at a scale never seen before. Four out of the top 5 most mentioned Indian athletes on Twitter during the Olympics were women and there were more than 2 million Tweets around the performances of PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar and Sania Mirza. This was even more than the number of Tweets for the India-Pakistan and India-Australia matches at the 2016 ICC World T20 combined”, said Aneesh Madani, Head of Sports Partnerships at Twitter India.
“From mothers who sent Tweets promising to share the stories of these athletes with their young daughters to public figures who Tweeted about these athletes were an inspiration to them, it was heartwarming to see Twitter being used for this outpouring of emotion. Twitter therefore became the common channel of communication between our athletes in Rio and fans and supporters in India, and the roar of the excitement was truly experienced on the platform.” added Madani.
And these were the most Tweeted about sports:
Here are the Top 5 Most Tweeted about Sports in India:
Most Retweeted Athlete Tweets:
Ahead of the pack in gymnastics…and on Twitter: Simone Biles sits atop her peers with some of the most Retweeted athlete Tweets during #Rio2016.
Here are the top 10 most Retweeted athlete Tweets during the games: