- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
Star India begins Hotstar’s global expansion
MUMBAI: Hotstar, Star India’s over-the-top (OTT) platform, has begun its global journey. Users across the globe can now access Hotstar.com on their mobile devices and desktops.
Earlier, for audiences outside India, the url Hotstar.com was redirecting to Star TV’s local websites. Now Hotstar has entered markets like the US, UK, Canada, South Africa, Germany, Malaysia and Singapore, among others.
With the global launch, viewers can watch the Hotstar Originals across the globe. They can also view content for which Hotstar has the digital rights to show in other countries.
The Hotstar app, however, is not available outside India as of now.
Incidentally, ‘Iss Pyar Ko Kya Naam Doon Ek Jashn’, the original production launched on 24 November, will be available on Hotstar globally.
Hotstar clarified in multiple tweets that many of its shows would not be available in multiple countries due to “digital rights restrictions”. Specifically, Life OK content is currently not available in the US on Hotstar.
Interestingly, in UK, the shows from Star India’s South Indian regional channels Star Vijay (Tamil), Suvarna TV (Kannada), MAA TV (Telugu) and Asianet (Malayalam), are also available.
Some other Hotstar Original titles include ‘On Air With AIB’, a news satire hosted by AIB, and ‘M Bole Toh’, a talk show featuring celebrities from Bollywood.