- McDonald’s to shut down 169 outlets in India
- Triple talaq violates rights of Muslim women: SC
- WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
- Airtel to launch its own Rs 2500 4G smartphone before Diwali
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
Sony Liv partners Fortumo to simplify payment process
MUMBAI: Sony Liv, Sony Pictures Networks’ (SPN) digital video entertainment service, has associated with mobile payments company Fortumo to simplify the payment process for users in the country.
Owing to this association, more than 580 million subscribers of Airtel, Vodafone, Idea and Aircel can access videos and movies on Sony Liv by charging payments to their mobile operator’s bill.
Fortumo’s carrier billing solution will enable users to choose specific premium videos or movies and pay for content using their phone. The payment is either deducted from their prepaid SIM card or charged to the phone bill in case of a post-paid contract.
With carrier billing, users do not need to set up any additional accounts or enter private information to make payments.
SPN EVP and head of digital business Uday Sodhi said, “Direct carrier billing helps viewers of Sony Liv to pay easily for their content consumption without a debit or a credit card. Fortumo was identified as the perfect synergistic match for Sony Liv due to its impressive background of powering payments for some of Asia Pacific’s leading digital content players. The tie-up with Fortumo will enable us to take our video-on-demand (VoD) service to an even larger audience.”
Fortumo India head Sanjay Sinha said, “India has one of the lowest credit card penetration rates globally, while smartphone ownership is growing rapidly. This creates a situation where users can access content online but are not able to pay for it. Fortumo solves the challenge by enabling payments for any phone owner. We are excited to partner SPN.”
Fortumo powers payments for a number of leading digital content providers in the Asia-Pacific region, including BoxTV, Ditto TV, Ten Sports and Gaana. Recently, its platform was implemented by game developer Rovio and mobile operator Idea to collect payments for Rovio’s games in India.