- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Netflix to reach 128 million subscribers by 2022
MUMBAI: Digital TV Research forecasts that Internet TV network Netflix will have 128 million subscribers by 2022, up 44% from 89 million at end-2016.
The Netflix Forecasts report estimates that the number of international subscribers will exceed US ones by early 2018.
Digital TV Research principal analyst Simon Murray said, “This impressive growth comes despite Netflix not having direct access to subscribers in the world’s largest country: China. Furthermore, Digital TV Research believes that Netflix will fall foul of Russian legislation. Due to be introduced in July 2017, this restricts foreign companies to only 20% of digital platforms’ equity.”
North America and Western Europe will together supply 72% of Netflix’s total subscriber base by 2022, down from 81% in 2016. The Asia Pacific region will boast more than 10 million subscribers by 2022, nearly triple the 2016 total.
Netflix expanded to 130 more countries in January 2016 to bring its total to 190 countries. The 130 new countries will have 14 million subscribers combined by 2022, up from 3 million at end-2016. The 2022 figure corresponds to 11% of Netflix’s global total.
The top five countries will supply two-thirds of Netflix’s subscribers by 2022. The US will still contribute 44% of subscribers by 2022. By 2022, 17 countries will have more than 1 million subscribers, up from 10 countries at end-2016.