- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Hotstar crosses 100 mn downloads on Google Play Store
MUMBAI: Star India’s video-on-demand (VoD) service Hotstar has achieved yet another milestone by crossing 100 million downloads on the Google Play Store. Almost all of Hotstar’s downloads have come from India.
Across the Play Store, App Store and other Android app stores cumulatively, Hotstar has crossed more than 200 million downloads since launch. The service reached this milestone in just two years of its launch in 2015.
The VoD platform has raced far ahead of many other consumer internet companies in India including e-commerce services like Amazon India and Flipkart, taxi ride services like Ola, payment apps like Paytm, and even news services like Times of India, NDTV and Dailyhunt.
Hotstar recently claimed that the Indian Premier League (IPL) streaming had amassed massive growth in viewership over the previous year with a five-time increase in watch time and a 12-time increase in concurrent viewership on the platform.
Hotstar boasts more than 100,000 hours of drama and movies in eight languages, and coverage of every major global sporting event. Launched in February 2015, it has attracted followers on the back of a highly evolved video streaming technology and high attention to quality of experience across devices and platforms.
Soon after its launch, Hotstar became one of the fastest adopted new apps anywhere in the world. It offers most of its content free of cost and recently introduced a pay wall that provides popular international TV series and films for a monthly subscription fee of Rs 199.