- OnePlus 5 to come with Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, first smartphone in India
- Apple TV updates Twitter with live 360 degree videos feature
- Infosys Ltd announces its new strategy to hire and train 10,000 American workers over the next two years.
- Uber will roll-out new feature in India, enabling users to unlock custom Snapchat filters
- Hollywood star Brad Pitt visits India to promote his Netflix release 'War Machine’
- Wolrd Organisation UN denies Pakistan’s claim that Indian troops targeted UN vehicle near LoCs
- Special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court grants bail to five accused in coal case against Naveen Jindal
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi stresses on reducing dependence on other countries for getting medical equipment, to make treatment affordable for people
- Devendra Fadnavis chopper crash lands in Latur, Maharashtra CM and team escapes unhurt
Hotstar crosses 100 mn downloads on Google Play Store
MUMBAI: Star India’s video-on-demand (VoD) service Hotstar has achieved yet another milestone by crossing 100 million downloads on the Google Play Store. Almost all of Hotstar’s downloads have come from India.
Across the Play Store, App Store and other Android app stores cumulatively, Hotstar has crossed more than 200 million downloads since launch. The service reached this milestone in just two years of its launch in 2015.
The VoD platform has raced far ahead of many other consumer internet companies in India including e-commerce services like Amazon India and Flipkart, taxi ride services like Ola, payment apps like Paytm, and even news services like Times of India, NDTV and Dailyhunt.
Hotstar recently claimed that the Indian Premier League (IPL) streaming had amassed massive growth in viewership over the previous year with a five-time increase in watch time and a 12-time increase in concurrent viewership on the platform.
Hotstar boasts more than 100,000 hours of drama and movies in eight languages, and coverage of every major global sporting event. Launched in February 2015, it has attracted followers on the back of a highly evolved video streaming technology and high attention to quality of experience across devices and platforms.
Soon after its launch, Hotstar became one of the fastest adopted new apps anywhere in the world. It offers most of its content free of cost and recently introduced a pay wall that provides popular international TV series and films for a monthly subscription fee of Rs 199.