- Hathway’s cable TV and broadband capex to be Rs 270 cr in FY18
- Cut in interconnect charge may boost RIL's EPS by 8%
- Package soon to boost economy; no cuts in fuel rates: Arun Jaitley
- Global child bride racket busted in Hyderabad, 20 arrested
- Tracked so far: Rs 75 crore in Dera bank accounts
- Violence in Tripura: Journalist hacked to death, sec 144 imposed
Google to unveil TV set-top box
MUMBAI: Internet search giant Google Inc is gearing up to launch a new television set-top box (STB) that may resemble Amazon’s Fire TV and Apple Inc’s Apple TV.
Google will show off the STB during its developer conference. The device is developed to gain control of digital content at home by Google.
The STB will be powered by Google’s new Android TV software designed to play movies, games and other content on television. However, it will carry another company’s brand name.
Companies like Google are now vying for space on TV, which has been known to be the traditional family entertainment centre before the advent of the smartphone and tablet. Its earlier attempt in the space was the launch of Chromecast last year, a $35 dongle that plugs into TVs and streams content from a user’s smartphone, tablet or computer.
In December 2012, Google sold its TV STB maker Motorola Home to Arris Group Inc for $2.35 billion.