- JD(U) under Nitish decides to become part of NDA, denies split in party
- Customs arrests Air India cabin crew for smuggling ganja
- Government, RBI in talks to shore up PSU bank capital
- Bihar flood toll mounts to 153, 17 districts affected
- IndiGo cancels 84 flights over engine issues
- Trai gets tough on call drops; slaps penalty of upto Rs 10 lakh
- Yogi Adityanath targets 'Yuvraj' Rahul Gandhi: 'Will not permit Gorakhpur to become picnic spot'
- Shivraj to lead BJP in 2018 election: Amit Shah
Google to unveil TV set-top box
MUMBAI: Internet search giant Google Inc is gearing up to launch a new television set-top box (STB) that may resemble Amazon’s Fire TV and Apple Inc’s Apple TV.
Google will show off the STB during its developer conference. The device is developed to gain control of digital content at home by Google.
The STB will be powered by Google’s new Android TV software designed to play movies, games and other content on television. However, it will carry another company’s brand name.
Companies like Google are now vying for space on TV, which has been known to be the traditional family entertainment centre before the advent of the smartphone and tablet. Its earlier attempt in the space was the launch of Chromecast last year, a $35 dongle that plugs into TVs and streams content from a user’s smartphone, tablet or computer.
In December 2012, Google sold its TV STB maker Motorola Home to Arris Group Inc for $2.35 billion.