- Twist in Sheena case: Indrani seeks to pin blame on Peter Mukerjea
- Ryan school murder: Court to hear accused bus conductor's bail plea today
- BCCI set to revoke ban on RCA soon
- Only 93 lakh 'green tax' spent by Delhi govt out of crores, RTI reveals
- Reliance Group shares plunge
Google to unveil TV set-top box
MUMBAI: Internet search giant Google Inc is gearing up to launch a new television set-top box (STB) that may resemble Amazon’s Fire TV and Apple Inc’s Apple TV.
Google will show off the STB during its developer conference. The device is developed to gain control of digital content at home by Google.
The STB will be powered by Google’s new Android TV software designed to play movies, games and other content on television. However, it will carry another company’s brand name.
Companies like Google are now vying for space on TV, which has been known to be the traditional family entertainment centre before the advent of the smartphone and tablet. Its earlier attempt in the space was the launch of Chromecast last year, a $35 dongle that plugs into TVs and streams content from a user’s smartphone, tablet or computer.
In December 2012, Google sold its TV STB maker Motorola Home to Arris Group Inc for $2.35 billion.