- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Discovery to consider launching OTT service in India after 4G rollout
MUMBAI: Discovery Communications will consider rolling out its over-the-top (OTT) platform Dplay in India once 4G services are established across India.
“We have introduced our OTT offering in some European countries. I am sure as the bandwidth constraints get eliminated and once 4G is really in place in the country, that is the time we will start evaluating the Discovery offering in India,” Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific EVP and GM-South Asia Rahul Johri told PTI.
In June, Discovery Communications had launched Dplay in Europe, powered by the best in general entertainment, live sports, and exciting non-fiction. Dplay is an all-access pass to the shows and sports every family member can watch, anytime and on any device.
Local shows are one of the key focus areas for Discovery in India. “We are building a good pipeline and have been constantly giving Indian viewers a whole host of shows that are being produced in India. So, we hope to continue doing the same,” Johri said.
The company is constantly evaluating opportunities in the regional language space. “In the last year or so, we have added Hindi to all our channels. Regional channels for Discovery are always under evaluation. We have certain internal benchmarks. The moment a language touches the benchmark, we definitely go in for that language,” he said.
India is one of the most important markets for Discovery outside the US. “We are one of the lead primary markets (for Discovery Networks). We are one of the high-growth, high-focus markets for the company,” he noted.