- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Cricket WC tops Google’s India search list; Hotstar and Star Sports are in top 10 table
MUMBAI: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 was the top search trend on Google in India during 2015, indicating the mass popularity of the game in the country.
Indian Premier League (IPL) ranked fifth while two of Star India’s brands made it to Google’s India list of most-searched terms and trends in 2015.
Hotstar and Star Sports, in fact, are the only two brands that made it to the list.
Star’s platform hotstar had seven of the top 10 trends feature on its platform, an official statement said.
Indians also associate firmly with movies, evident from the fact that the second, third and fourth spots in the Google list were occupied by ‘Bahubali’, ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ and ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’.
The Top 10 searches trending on Google in India during 2015 were:
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2015
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
- Indian Premier League (IPL)
- APJ Abdul Kalam
- SSC Exam
- Bigg Boss 9
- Star Sports
While the top 5 of this list are content that played or will soon be played (‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’) exclusively on Star’s network including hotstar, the last two brands are part of the Star Network owned by Star.
Hotstar itself has set new benchmarks since its launch in February. The online platform has grown in popularity and clocked over 35 million downloads in a short span of time.
Star India CEO Uday Shankar said, “Stories matter. We have long held the belief that content shapes the mindspace and cultural bloodstream of a nation. This belief is validated seeing that our content is shaping and defining the majority of trending searches in India. What’s gratifying also is to see two of our brands, hotstar and starsports, as the only two brands that feature on the list.”