- Post merger of HITS-Cable TV biz, IMCL’s FY17 net loss swells to Rs 206 crore
- RIL Surges 4% After Telecom Regulator Slashes Interconnect Charges
- Mumbai Rains: 34 domestic flights cancelled till 12 pm today, main runway remains shut
- Tata Sons buys big chunk of shares in group firms
- Swine flu: 42 positive case in Mohali
- HIV blood transfusion probe: High-level team gives clean chit to Regional Cancer Centre
- Flipkart, Amazon in Rs100 crore ad blitz
- Politicians may have helped Iqbal Kaskar net 100 crore in 3 years
- Mobile bills to go down as Trai cuts call termination charges to 6 p/min
Apalya crosses 10 mn installs in a year
MUMBAI: Apalya, which powers the OTT success stories of major brands like Vodafone India and Sun TV Network, has crossed 10 million installs in a year.
The company said that myplex-powered consumer OTT services recently crossed an aggregate 10 million installs and is a testament to Apalya’s technology credentials and deployment capabilities.
Apalya’s plug and play OTT solution brings together the gamut of OTT ecosystem partners from content owner/ aggregators to UI/UX specialists, DRM specialists to billing and analytics providers to even device and hardware vendors. In doing so, Apalya aims to fulfill the OTT aspirations of a wide range of customers from content owners and creators, distribution platforms from telcos to cable and DTH players, broadband ISPs, even hardware vendors in some cases.
OTT stands for over-the-top and refers to delivery of video content – film, TV, videos of varying durations, web series – via the internet, without requiring subscribing to a cable service provider.
The OTT market is poised for exponential growth in India with the entry of international players and several local players joining the fray.
Apalya CEO Vamshi Reddy said, “Our understanding of technology, content and the mobile ecosystem helped us pioneer mobile TV a decade ago. We continued to invest in our research and developments helping us identify the opportunity in OTT space very early on. Today, we are ready with the most robust OTT platform myplex and a deep-rooted relationship with various players in the ecosystem to enable a plug and play solution for customers looking to enter the OTT space. Our persistence to pursue this space is a testimony to our vision of building innovative yet robust technologies that define the growth of the industry.”
myplex is a hyper scalable platform that has an ability to handle complex integration amongst various modules from packaging and billing, security, analytics and engagement solutions. It has enabled 30+ brands across telecom and broadcast domain establish their online video presence, serving more than 100 million subscribers and 2 billion + minutes of usage on the platform
Trends on the Internet consumption in India point to 65% or 450 million mobile-only for internet users. India is adding over 6 million users every month to this number who are consuming digital information/entertainment via their mobile phones. Smartphone proliferation is only increasing and by the end of 2017, close to 48% of mobile users in the country will use smartphones. Over 40 million users are currently using one or the other popular OTT service.
The ecosystem in this space is divided into several platforms such as:
1) Original content, 2) Content rights holders, 3) Broadcasters, 4) Cable TV operators, 5) DTH providers, 6) International OTT Content Aggregators Distribution, 7) OTT Secure Providers.