- Fashion TV working on India linear, SVOD launch by 2018-end
- Baggage tow tractor rams into Air India plane at IGI
- Reliance says Jio to turn profitable 'shortly'
- Presence of outsider in Talwars' flat cannot be ruled out: HC on Aarushi case
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Suspects' sketches released but SIT has nothing else
About 385,000 Americans add broadband in 2Q
MUMBAI: Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US — representing about 93 per cent of the market — acquired nearly 385,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in the second quarter of 2014.
These top broadband providers now account for over 85.9 million subscribers — with top cable companies having nearly 50.7 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having over 35.2 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 2Q 2014 amounted to 130% of those in 2Q 2013
- The top cable companies accounted for 99% of the net broadband additions for the quarter versus the top telephone companies
- The top cable companies added about 380,000 subscribers, representing 128% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 2Q 2013
- For the top cable providers (not including overbuilder WOW), the number of broadband subscribers exceeded the number of cable TV subscribers for the first time ever — with about 49,915,000 broadband subscribers at the end of 2Q 2014, compared to about 49,910,000 cable TV subscribers
- The top telephone companies added about 2,000 broadband subscribers in 2Q 2014 — compared to a loss of about 2,000 in 2Q 2013
- AT&T and Verizon added 627,000 subscribers via U-verse and FiOS in 2Q 2014, while having a net loss of 636,000 DSL subscribers
- The top cable broadband providers have a 59% share of the market versus the top telcos
With the addition of more than 30 million broadband subscribers over the past decade, cable providers have clearly expanded well beyond their roots in cable TV service. As of the end of 2Q 2014, the top cable providers now have more broadband subscribers than cable TV subscribers.
Subscribers at End
Net adds in
|of 2Q 2014||2Q 2014|
|Other major private cable companies||6,475,000||25,000|
|Total Top Cable||50,682,625||381,657|
|Total Top Telephone Companies||35,238,021||2,083|