- Dish TV-Videocon d2h merger deal concludes as MIB grants approval
- Airtel Blocked From Aadhaar Platform After Being Accused Of Misusing Data
- Railways mulling installation of CCTV cameras inside trains
- Interpol denies India's request for red corner notice against Zakir Naik, cites lack of evidence as reason
- The Rebooting Of Rahul Gandhi, 49th Congress President
28 pay news channels jump 12-min cut-off; NDTV tops with 22.66 min of ads
MUMBAI: Twenty-eight pay news channels have aired more than 12 minutes of ads in an hour and NDTV 24×7 has topped the list with a whopping 22.66 minutes of ads.
Among the pay news channels, CNBC TV 18 Prime HD has consumed the lowest commercial airtime per clock hour between 7 pm and 10 pm for the period 28 September to 27 December 2015.
The channel has aired 12.42 minutes per clock hour in this time shown, as per Telecom Regulatory Authority’s (TRAI) report based on data provided by the broadcasters.
Incidentally, CNBC TV18 Prime HD is the only HD channel in the news genre list to air more than 12 minutes of ads.
The count of news and current affairs channels crossing the 12-minute border in the three-month period running through December stood at 28, up from 27 in the earlier quarter.
It must be noted that news broadcasters are protected by a Delhi High Court order retraining the TRAI from taking coercive action against channels for airing more than 12 minutes of ads.
Times Now, the leader in English news genre, aired 17.75 minutes of ads while the leading Hindi news channel Aaj Tak aired 12.97 minutes of ads.
Among the regional news channels, three channels crossed the 20-minute mark. Other channels aired between 13 and 17 minutes of ads. ETV Urdu was the only channel that was closer to the 12-minute threshold.
- Among 149 offenders, 121 pay non-news channels aired more than 12 min of ads
- 112 pay non-news channels showed ads beyond 12 minutes during July–Sep, says TRAI
- 27 news channels showed ads in excess of 12 minutes during Jul–Sep 2015, says TRAI
- 105 pay non-news channels not obeying 12-minute ad cap, says TRAI
- 36 news channels violated ad cap rule during April–June, says TRAI
- 140 channels not complying with the 12-minute ad cap, says TRAI