- Delhi: Worker dies after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning sewer inside hospital premises
- Bihar floods: Toll rises to 253, more than a crore people are now homeless
- Key accused in Rs 700-crore Bihar fund transfer scam dies in Bhagalpur hospital
- War won't give China any clear gain, only cause casualties, assesses govt
- Saudi carrier says Qatar has not approved hajj flights
- Three Kashmiri youth arrested for disrespecting National Anthem
- 2008 Malegaon Blast Case: Supreme Court Verdict On Lt Col Purohit's Bail Today
Vividh Bharati goes FM in Mumbai
MUMBAI: Vividh Bharati Mumbai’s signals have been made available for listeners through the frequency modulation (FM) mode on 102.8 MHz.
The FM transmitter for Vividh Bharati service in Mumbai was inaugurated by Minister of State for Information & Broadcasting Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Retd) in Worli, Mumbai.
The Vividh Bharati listeners in Mumbai were until now getting the signals through medium wave (MW) only. Now a signal shall be available through FM, which has stereophonic sound quality and has the inbuilt feature of becoming available on mobile phones and car stereos.
Vividh Bharati’s Mumbai transmission begins at 5:55 am and runs until 11:30 pm. This service is in addition to the two existing FM services of AIR, namely FM Gold and FM Rainbow. A dedicated 5 KW transmitter has been installed for the service in Mumbai.
The 5 KW FM transmitter will be upgraded to 20 KW FM in the near future, and will cover a radius over 80 km once installed and made operational.
While its services were available across most parts of the country on FM mode, in the four metros (with the highest population densities) Vividh Bharati was transmitted only on MW. After taking over as Prasar Bharati CEO, Jawhar Sircar sought to address this matter, as this did not allow ‘people on the move’ in the four metros to enjoy Vividh Bharati content.
Sircar directed AIR to explore how Vividh Bharati could be provided on FM in the four metros at the earliest. With the approval of the Prasar Bharati board, the idea was presented to the current government. With the support of the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB), Prasar Bharati was able to make Vividh Bharati available on FM mode in three metros (Kolkata: 101.8Mhz, Chennai: 100.5Mhz and Mumbai: 102.8Mhz). Soon, listeners in Delhi too will be able to receive Vividh Bharati on FM.
The inaugural function was attended by media persons and personalities from Bollywood and the broadcast industry like Amin Sayani, Vikram Gokhale, Jacky Shroff, Brijbushan, and Vishwas Mehendale.