- Disney set to take driver’s seat in India with the addition of Star, Tata Sky
- DishTV launches new offers in Tamil Nadu
- Nothing is finalised on pay hike of Indian cricketers: CK Khanna
- Exit polls predict BJP victory in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh elections
- Govt. clears Bill banning instant triple talaq
- Congress Request Ahead of Gujarat Poll Counting Rejected By Supreme Court
Press needs to be fearless and responsible: Lok Sabha Speaker
NEW DELHI: As the fourth pillar of democracy, the press has an important role to play and should utilise its freedom in a responsible and credible manner, said Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
Speaking at the presentation of the Ramnath Goenka Awards for Excellence in Journalism for 2011 and 2012, Mahajan said: “We should expect as much responsibility and transparency from the press as from the other three pillars. A free press and a fearless press are in the interests of both society and the nation.”
The role of the journalists should be to load the people with information so that they are both aware and strong.
Pointing out the deficiencies in reporting, Mahajan stated that Parliamentary proceedings were not always given adequate coverage and high-level and important debates on several occasions were not highlighted.
“I laud the media for highlighting issues of corruption and nepotism but along with this I want that the media should also focus on interesting and important debates that take place in Parliament. If the media does not give this adequate coverage, then we can’t reap the benefits of democracy,” The Indian Express quoted her as having said at the event.