- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
N Ravi to retire as Hindu chief editor, Parthasarathy to be daily’s 1st woman editor
MUMBAI: N Ravi, editor-in-chief of English daily ‘The Hindu’, will retire from his post after being with the family-owned newspaper for 42 years. The decision came at a board meeting of Kasturi & Sons Ltd (KSL), the company that owns the newspaper.
The board of directors of KSL has unanimously appointed Malini Parthasarathy as editor of ‘The Hindu’ with effect from 1 February 2015.
Ravi will step down from his position on 31 January 2015. The board placed on record Ravi’s contributions to maintaining The Hindu’s pre-eminent position as an English newspaper in India. He will continue on the board of KSL as a whole-time director.
The board also noted Parthasarathy’s rare distinction of being The Hindu’s first woman editor and wished her the very best in taking The Hindu to greater heights.
Ravi and Parthasarthy were appointed editor-in-chief and editor respectively of The Hindu in October 2013 during a controversial board meeting where chairman N Ram used his casting vote to effect a change in top management after the 12-member board of the company voted 6-6 on the move, state reports.
Siddharth Varadrajan resigned as editor of the paper and Arun Anant quit from the post of chief executive officer. Varadarajan was the first editor of the newspaper in nearly five decades who did not belong to the Kasturi family. Anant was the company’s first chief executive.
In May last year, the board appointed Rajiv C Lochan as the managing director and chief executive officer of the company.