- '84 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases
- China Uses Chequebook Diplomacy To Sideline India In Nepal
- NDRF rescues 28000, including 6 pregnant women, from floods
- Rahul Gandhi launches Indira Canteen project in Bengaluru
- Just by fulfilling its commitment to SC, Trai can bring down mobile call rates by half
- Google to Pay Apple $3 Billion to Remain Default iOS Device Search Engine
- Daniel Craig confirmed as 007 in upcoming James Bond film Bond 25
MIB extends GOPA deadline for FM radio yet again
MUMBAI: The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has once again extended the date of signing the migration Grant of Permission Agreement (GOPA) for FM radio players. The new deadline is 31 March 2015, after which the licences of the existing players will start expiring.
Earlier, the deadline was 30 December 2013, which was then extended to 30 June 2014.
However, as reported earlier by TelevisionPost.com, the extension will not have any impact on the Phase III auction of FM radio.
At the time of the last extension, AROI secretary general Uday Chawla had told TelevisionPost.com that the extension was pretty normal since the migration issues still lay pending with the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The move comes on the heels of comments filed by broadcasters on the TRAI consultation paper seeking views on migration issues.
As per the Phase III guidelines, 25 July 2011 was the cut-off date for automatic migration to Phase III. However, since none of the radio operators opted for the same, TRAI suggested that the MIB fix the migration date any time after the completion of Phase III auctions.
If found eligible, Phase II operators who want to migrate to Phase III regime will be required to pay the migration fee and sign the migration GOPA before the specified date. However, the final date of migration should be no later than 31 March 2015 (by when all Phase II licences will have expired).
Demystifying TRAI’s recommendations on FM radio Phase III migration
TRAI indicates migration fee formula for FM Phase III
MIB’s extension of migration GOPA deadline to have no impact on Phase III auctions