- McDonald’s to shut down 169 outlets in India
- Triple talaq violates rights of Muslim women: SC
- WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
- Airtel to launch its own Rs 2500 4G smartphone before Diwali
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Police verification for passport to go online within a year
- 'Routine run' kills second IMA cadet in 2 days; 5 in hospital
- MLAs supporting TTV Dinakaran meet Governor, demand Palaniswami's removal
AIR launches WhatsApp no. for overseas listeners
MUMBAI: All India Radio (AIR) has launched its WhatsApp number for overseas listeners of its Urdu service.
Earlier, the broadcaster had started two SMS-based song request programmes in August. To take it further, the WhatsApp number will ensure there is no compatibility issue regarding network services.
Overseas listeners can send in their song request for ‘Suraj Ke Sath Sath’ and ‘Shaam Suhaani’ on the number. Each of the two-hour shows airs from 8 to 10 am and from 6 to 8 pm respectively.
An AIR official said, “Both the programmes are primetime music request shows and listeners’ requests are being taken through SMS and WhatsApp. After getting an overwhelming response to our programmes, we were prompted to launch a WhatsApp number which brings compatibility and makes it easy to send requests from anywhere in the world.”
Overseas listeners can also tune into the Urdu service through internet and DTH services besides MWs and SWs.
AIR will also celebrate Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s birthday on 31 October. An annual feature, it will comprise a guest lecture on ‘Marxism, Socialism and Integral Humansim’ by MP and journalist Dr Chandan Mitra, on 30 October, in Delhi.
The ‘Sardar Patel Memorial Lecture’ is held as a mark of respect to Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, India’s first Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
The lectures are held before an invited audience and broadcast on the national hook-up of AIR on the occasion of Sardar Patel’s birth anniversary.