- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
Wanda Group acquires Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 bn
MUMBAI: Wang Jianlin, China’s richest man, continues to bet on Hollywood. His company, Wanda Group has acquired Legendary Entertainment, the American film and television company, for $3.5 billion in cash.
This is the largest acquisition of a US production company by a Chinese firm.
Legendary Entertainment, controlled by Thomas Tull, is the maker of ‘The Dark Knight’, ‘Jurassic World’ and ‘Godzilla’ movies.
“The acquisition of Legendary will make Wanda Film Holdings Company the highest revenue-generating film company in the world, increasing Wanda’s presence in China and the US, the world’s two largest markets,” said Wang. “Wanda’s businesses will encompass the full scope of film production, exhibition and distribution, enhancing Wanda’s core competitiveness and amplifying our voice in the global film market.”
Beijing-based Wanda Group already controls AMC Entertainment Holdings, the second-largest US cinema chain. Jianlin wants to spread his interests across sports, hospitality, theme parks and entertainment.