- ACT Fibernet rolls-out 1 Gbps plan in Bengaluru after Hyderabad
- Vishnu Shankar takes charge as &TV business head
- Unitech Shares Plunge 13% As Supreme Court Stays NCLT Order
- Tax department probes unregulated bitcoin exchanges after valuations jump
- Coal scam: Fmr Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda, Fmr coal Secy held guilty
- Deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar was extended to March 31, 2018
T-Series’ film production biz to consume over Rs 300 cr in 2018
MUMBAI: T-Series will be investing upwards of Rs 300 crore in its movie production business in 2018.
The slate of six movies includes a biopic on Saina Nehwal, ‘Mogul’, ‘Raita’, ‘Hate Story 4′ and ‘Faney Khan’.
The leading music label and film production house will also release six more movies this year. The films scheduled to release are ‘Baadshaho’, ‘Simran’, ‘Bhoomi’, ‘Chef’, ‘Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety’ and ‘Tumhari Sulu’. The company has already released three movies in the early part of the year.
T-Series president – marketing, media & publishing Vinod Bhanushali said, “We are yet to finalise certain films. Our investment in the film production business would be around Rs 300 crore in 2018. But it may go up as we are just about to finalise some films.”
Some of these titles such as ‘Mogul’, ‘Raita’, ‘Chef’, ‘Simran’, ‘Tumhari Sulu’, ‘Hate Story 4’ and ‘Sonu Ke Titu Ke Sweety’ will also be a part of the Amazon Prime Video deal which was inked last year.
Bhanushali stated, “We have an output deal with Amazon, which is little complicated, but most of our films are with Amazon except Ajay Devgn’s ‘Baadshaho’, which is with Star.”
In September 2016, T-Series had inked a deal with Amazon Prime for 17 underproduction films. As per the deal, Prime Video India will be the exclusive subscription streaming home for T-Series’ upcoming film releases. Earlier, the film titles included ‘Tum Bin 2’ (directed by Anubhav Sinha), ‘Noor’ (starring Sonakshi Sinha), ‘Raabta’ (Sushant Singh Rajput and Kriti Sanon), ‘Hindi Medium’ (Irrfan Khan and Pakistani beauty Saba Qamar), ‘Wajah Tum Ho’ and ‘Yaariyan 2.’
Details of films to be released in 2017
- ‘Baadshaho’ is produced by T-Series along with Vertex Motion Pictures and is scheduled to release on 1 September. The action thriller is directed by Milan Luthria and stars Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi, Vidyut Jamwal, Esha Gupta, Ileana D’Cruz and Sanjay Mishra
- ‘Simran’ is a slice-of-life film produced by T-Series along with Karma Features. Directed by Hansal Mehta, the film stars Kangana Ranaut and is scheduled to release on 15 September.
- ‘Bhoomi’, a Umang Kumar-directed revenge drama, is scheduled to release on 22 September. The film, produced along with Sandeep Singh and Umang Kumar’s Legend Studios, stars Sanjay Dutt, Aditi Rao Hydari and Sidhant Gupta.
- ‘Chef’ is a remake of American gastronomical comedy with the same title. Produced along with Abundantia Entertainment, the film features Saif Ali Khan, Svar Kamble, Padmapriya Janakiraman and Chandan Roy Sanyal. The film is directed by Raja Krishna Menon and will be released on 6 October.
- ‘Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety’ is a romantic comedy directed by Luv Ranjan and will be released on 3 November. The film, produced along with Luv Films, stars ‘Pyar Ka Punchanama 2’ actors Kartik Aaryan, Nushrat Bharucha and Sunny Singh.
- ‘Tumhari Sulu’, produced by T-Series and Ellipsis Entertainment, is a comedy drama. The film stars Vidya Balan, Neha Dhupia and Manav Kaul. Directed by Suresh Trivedi, the film will be released on 1 December.
Details of films to be released in 2018
‘Raita’ (working title): T-Series along with RDP Motion Pictures is producing this quirky comedy featuring Irrfan Khan, Kirti Kulhari, Divya Dutta, Arunoday Singh, Gajraj Rao and Pradhyuman Singh. The film is directed by Abhinay Deo.
‘Hate Story 4’: The production house is bringing the fourth instalment of its popular ‘Hate Story’ franchise. The erotic thriller is directed by Vishal Pandya. The star cast for the film is yet to be finalised.
Biopic of Saina Nehwal (untitled): Going along with trend of making a film around sports personality, T-Series is working on the biopic of ace badminton player Saina Nehwal. The title of the film is yet to be finalised. The lead role of Saina Nehwal will be played by Shraddha Kapoor. The film is directed by Amole Gupte.
‘Faney Khan’: This musical drama is produced by T-Series along with Kriarj Entertainment and Romp Pictures. The film is directed by Atul Manjrekar and stars Anil Kapoor and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in the lead roles.
‘Mogul’: Produced by T-Series along with Abundantia Entertainment, the film is yet another biopic of T-Series founder Shri Gulshan Kumar. The film is directed by Subhash Kapoor and will star Akshay Kumar in the lead role.
Untitled: T-Series is also working on an action comedy which is a remake of a South Indian film. The film is directed by Prabhudeva and features Sooraj Pancholi in the lead role.
Expansion in the Marathi film market
The production house is also expanding its reach in the regional market. T-Series is producing 10 Marathi films with Mahesh Manjrekar. The company is planning to invest 15–20 crore in the production, music acquisition and promotions of Marathi films.
The 10 film titles include ‘Dhyani Mani’, ‘Nation First’, ‘Wada’, ‘Take Care Good Night’, ‘Shikari’, ‘Shivaji Park Mumbai 28’, ‘I Am Shivaji Raje’, ‘Friendship Unlimited’, ‘Kore Goan Park’ and ‘White’.