- Kerala high court clears CM Pinarayi in Rs 374 crore Lavalin scam case
- Infosys jumps 3% on buzz of Nandan Nilekani's return
- Gorakhpur tragedy: Top UP bureaucrat removed
- Karti Chidambaram appears before the CBI in the corruption case
- Kaifiyat Express derails in Auraiya district of UP, 74 injured
- Bypoll: Voting underway in Panaji and Valpoi Assembly seats
- Dhinakarans effigy burnt in Puducherry
Subhash Chandra wins Rajya Sabha polls amid high drama
MUMBAI: Essel Group chairman Subhash Chandra was elected as Rajya Sabha member from Haryana.
Chandra, who was the BJP-backed independent candidate for the second Rajya Sabha seat from Haryana, defeated Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) and Congress-backed independent candidate RK Anand.
A major reason for the media baron’s victory was the rejection of 14 votes of the Congress as they registered their votes with another pen other than the one provided by the returning officer.
Meanwhile, Chandra has thanked the BJP for supporting him in the election. He also asserted that he knows how to win a lost battle. He termed the Haryana Rajya Sabha polls as BJP vs the rest.
“I never make big promises without any concrete base. During 2014 Haryana Assembly Elections, I said that I know the secret to win a lost battle and in 2016 Rajya Sabha polls I proved myself,” he said during a press conference.
Chandra said that he personally called up 76 out of 90 MLAs of Haryana and sought for their support.
He vowed to work for the betterment of Haryana. “I would like to work for Haryana and its people. After this big win, my responsibilities have also widened. I would also be obliged if provided a chance to work for my fellow citizens of India,” Chandra said.
He also brushed aside allegations of money power being used to win the election. “Believe me that they have been proved wrong, because I did not spend much money except on accommodation,” he noted.