- Honeypreet's bail plea: Delhi High court reserves order, asks her to surrender
- MIB seeks compliance report from Arasu on digitisation
- Pakistan court to indict Nawaz Sharif on October 2 in corruption cases
- Narendra Modi's 16000 cr Saubhagya scheme for households
- 894 dengue cases in New Delhi over last week
- SBI cuts minimum balance requirement in savings account to Rs 3000
- Malegaon blast accused Major Ramesh Upadhyay gets bail from Bombay High Court
Star Sports to air Sudirman Cup on Star Sports 2, Star Sports HD 2
MUMBAI: As Saina Nehwal leads the India contingent to face off against the world’s top badminton-playing nations in the Sudirman Cup, Star Sports will telecast the action for Indian fans live on Star Sports 2 and Star Sports HD 2.
The Sudirman Cup will be held from 10 to 17 May in Dongguan, China.
The 15-member Indian contingent will play in five formats in each round—men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles.
In addition to Nehwal, the Indian contingent is packed with such talents as world No. 4 K Srikanth, No. 11 PV Sindhu, and No. 13 P Kashyap, giving India a good chance of becoming only the fourth nation in history to triumph at the Sudirman Cup.
Named after former Indonesian badminton player Dick Sudirman, the tournament was first held in 1989. Played every two years, it is the World Team Badminton Championship with 35 nations entered for the 2015 edition.
The competing countries are divided into four groups but only the top 12 of those nations making up Group 1 will be eligible to compete for the trophy. The 12 teams in Group 1 are further divided into sub-groups of three teams each, with Team India placed in Group 1D along with Korea and Malaysia.
The 12 teams vying for the title will compete over two stages—the group stages following which the top two teams from each sub-group of Group 1 will proceed to the knockout stage.