- India-focused OTT production entity Golden Karavan launched
- Woman alleges gang rape by two men in SUV
- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
SRK’s ‘Happy New Year’ is fastest entrant to the Rs 100 crore club
MUMBAI: The gang of ‘losers’ led by Charlie (Shah Rukh Khan) has not just broken into the most secure safe containing diamonds, but also shattered all domestic box-office records in the very first weekend.
In its first weekend itself, HNY has minted Rs 108.86 crore (Rs 1.09 billion) at the domestic box office.
While the film—which has received mixed reviews, with some critics slamming the plot and screenplay—saw a decline on Days 2 and 3, it still safely ended the first weekend ahead of previous record owner ‘Dhoom 3’.
‘Dhoom 3’ (starring Aamir Khan, Katrina Kaif and Abhishek Bachchan) had netted Rs 107 crore (Rs 1.07 billion) during its opening (Christmas) weekend last year.
Meanwhile, HNY’s collection dropped from Rs 44.97 crore on Friday to Rs 38 crore (Rs 380 million) on Saturday and Rs 25.9 crore (Rs 259 million) on Sunday.
The Hindi edition of the film collected Rs 104.10 crore (1.04 billion), while the Telugu and Tamil versions raked in Rs 2.92 crore (Rs 29.2 million) and Rs 1.84 crore (Rs 18.4 million) respectively.
Gross international collection for the first weekend is around Rs 30 crore (Rs 300 million).
Among other films, ‘Bang Bang’ ended its third week with a net collection of Rs 143.94 crore (Rs 1.44 billion), while ‘Haider’ had a total collection of Rs 49.48 crore (Rs 494.8 million) by the end of the fourth week.