- India TV’s Rajat Sharma takes charge as NBA prez for third time
- iCubesWire floats $3 mn fund for digital startups
- CRPF, Northern Rails launch cleanliness drive at station
- Reliance Jio 4G speeds rise by 50 per cent as free data offers end: OpenSignal
- Hyderabad man accused of burning wife to death for not getting an MBBS seat
- FIR against Honeypreet, police steps up search operations
- Dawood's brother Iqbal Kaskar arrested in extortion case
- Manmohan Singh Says Demonetisation and GST Double Whammy For Economy
Sony DADC elevates Rajat Kakar to MD India
MUMBAI: Sony DADC has promoted Rajat Kakar to managing director of its India operations.
Kakar will now oversee Sony DADC manufacturing and distribution units alongside the licensing business. He will also provide strategic guidance on the company’s existing portfolio and expand the current verticals while exploring growth opportunities for the company in India.
He will now be reporting to Sony DADC International president Dietmar Tanzer.
Kakar replaces Dr CK Sunny who had joined the company in 1997 at a time when the audio-cassette business was the prevailing format. He steered the manufacturing unit through the advent of compact discs and eventually into Blu-ray disc.
Prior to this role, Kakar was the MD of Universal Music India and led companies like Asian Paints and P&G before joining the Sony Music start-up team in 1996.
He joined the company in 2012 as the business head for its licensing business. Under his leadership, the home entertainment business portfolio expanded and the home entertainment services entered into exclusive home video marketing and distribution for Hollywood studios like Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, and National Geographic in India.
Kakar also expanded the music portfolio encompassing Sony Music, Warner Music, Zee Music, Times Music, and Saregama in the music vertical for exploitation across all physical formats.
“I look forward to this new opportunity. We are a company that provides end-to-end solution for any entertainment media company and we hope to consolidate this further with the hallmark Sony service and geographical footprint that we offer—both to our current and potential partners,” Kakar said.