- Film producer Karim Morani surrenders in rape case
- Ryan school murder case: CBI team reaches school, starts probe
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- Pakistan shells border posts, hamlets in J&K; BSF jawans among 7 injured
- Sushma Swaraj raises issue of terrorism, H1-B with US Secretary of State
Smriti Irani is new I&B minister
MUMBAI: Textiles minister Smriti Irani has been given additional charge of the Information and Broadcasting ministry following the resignation of Venkaiah Naidu.
Narendra Singh Tomar, who is the mines and rural development minister, will also take care of the urban development ministry.
Naidu held both these ministries before he resigned after being named by the BJP-led ruling NDA as the vice presidential nominee.
Born on 1 July 1949 in Chavatapalem, a remote village in the Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, Naidu completed his graduation from VR College, Nellore. After completing his graduation, he obtained a law degree from Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
Naidu began his political life as a student leader in 1971. He also served as president of the BJP from July 2002 to October 2004. He was re-elected to Rajya Sabha for a fourth term from Rajasthan.