- India’s top 5 OTT services saw 100% growth in monthly user base in H1 2017
- 'Peepli Live' Co-Director Mahmood Farooqui Acquitted In Rape Case
- BHU Molestation: Police Allegedly Thrash Female Students Demanding A Safe Campus
- US Supreme Court has option to duck Trump's travel ban ruling
- Karti closed many foreign accounts, shifted money: CBI
- PV Sindhu Nominated For Padma Bhushan By Sports Ministry
- Assets Worth 1.16 Crores Linked To Karti Chidambaram Are Seized
‘Singham Returns’ is biggest box office opener of 2014
MUMBAI: ‘Singham Returns’, the sequel to Ajay Devgn’s 2011 blockbuster ‘Singham’, has opened big at the box office.
Released across close to 3,600 screens on Independence Day, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 32.09 crore ( Rs 320.9 million) on the domestic box office (net), surpassing the launch day record of Salman Khan’s ‘Kick’ (Rs 26.5 crore or Rs 265 million).
With the giant opening, ‘Singham Returns’ has not only become biggest opener of 2014, but also the biggest Ajay Devgn film. Apparently, the first weekend net collection of the film is more than half of the prequel’s lifetime collections ( Rs 100.3 crore or Rs 1 billion).
Riding high on the Independence Day weekend, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 21.05 crore (Rs 210.5 million) on Saturday and Rs 24.50 crore (Rs 245 million) on Sunday. The first weekend total of the film is at Rs 77.64 crore ( Rs 776.4 million). Trade analysts believe that Monday being a holiday in many parts of country (Krishna Janmashtami), the film is expected to add big numbers today.
Directed by Rohit Shetty, the film also stars Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Dayanand Shetty and Amol Gupte.
Meanwhile, in the overseas markets, the film has collected $2.4 million ( Rs 14.5 crore).