- PV Sindhu Enters Quarter-final of Hong Kong Open Super Series
- Padmavati cleared for Dec 1 release in Britain, SC allows advocate to file fresh plea
- Bharti family pledges Rs 7000 crore towards philanthropy
- Indian Navy gets its first woman pilot, 3 women NAI officers
- Colonel arrested for raping Lt- Colonel's daughter in Shimla
- Pradyuman murder case: Ashok was beaten, tortured and sedated to force his confession, claims wife
- Election Commission grants 'two leaves' symbol to unified AIADMK
‘Singham Returns’ is biggest box office opener of 2014
MUMBAI: ‘Singham Returns’, the sequel to Ajay Devgn’s 2011 blockbuster ‘Singham’, has opened big at the box office.
Released across close to 3,600 screens on Independence Day, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 32.09 crore ( Rs 320.9 million) on the domestic box office (net), surpassing the launch day record of Salman Khan’s ‘Kick’ (Rs 26.5 crore or Rs 265 million).
With the giant opening, ‘Singham Returns’ has not only become biggest opener of 2014, but also the biggest Ajay Devgn film. Apparently, the first weekend net collection of the film is more than half of the prequel’s lifetime collections ( Rs 100.3 crore or Rs 1 billion).
Riding high on the Independence Day weekend, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 21.05 crore (Rs 210.5 million) on Saturday and Rs 24.50 crore (Rs 245 million) on Sunday. The first weekend total of the film is at Rs 77.64 crore ( Rs 776.4 million). Trade analysts believe that Monday being a holiday in many parts of country (Krishna Janmashtami), the film is expected to add big numbers today.
Directed by Rohit Shetty, the film also stars Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Dayanand Shetty and Amol Gupte.
Meanwhile, in the overseas markets, the film has collected $2.4 million ( Rs 14.5 crore).