- Infosys MD & CEO Vishal Sikka resigns, Pravin Rao interim chief
- Rescue Hyderabad minor from Omani sheikh: Maneka Gandhi to Sushma Swaraj
- After SBI, now HDFC Bank and Yes Bank cut interest rate on savings
- Election Commissioner speaks out: 'Winning at all cost, without ethics, is new normal in politics'
- Karti Chidambaram says will appear before CBI on August 23, seeks protection
- USS Fitzgerald captain during collision that killed 7 to lose command
‘Singham Returns’ is biggest box office opener of 2014
MUMBAI: ‘Singham Returns’, the sequel to Ajay Devgn’s 2011 blockbuster ‘Singham’, has opened big at the box office.
Released across close to 3,600 screens on Independence Day, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 32.09 crore ( Rs 320.9 million) on the domestic box office (net), surpassing the launch day record of Salman Khan’s ‘Kick’ (Rs 26.5 crore or Rs 265 million).
With the giant opening, ‘Singham Returns’ has not only become biggest opener of 2014, but also the biggest Ajay Devgn film. Apparently, the first weekend net collection of the film is more than half of the prequel’s lifetime collections ( Rs 100.3 crore or Rs 1 billion).
Riding high on the Independence Day weekend, ‘Singham Returns’ collected Rs 21.05 crore (Rs 210.5 million) on Saturday and Rs 24.50 crore (Rs 245 million) on Sunday. The first weekend total of the film is at Rs 77.64 crore ( Rs 776.4 million). Trade analysts believe that Monday being a holiday in many parts of country (Krishna Janmashtami), the film is expected to add big numbers today.
Directed by Rohit Shetty, the film also stars Kareena Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Dayanand Shetty and Amol Gupte.
Meanwhile, in the overseas markets, the film has collected $2.4 million ( Rs 14.5 crore).